Resin is a fun material to use for various arts and crafts projects. However, one might encounter a sticky situation upon accidentally getting resin on one’s hands, especially if one does not use safety gloves upon creating resin crafts. If one is not careful enough, they might even experience harmful effects from constantly getting resin onto their hands.
With all of that in consideration, here is a helpful washing guide on how to get resin off hands. Furthermore, this guide includes several methods that one can utilize, especially if other methods do not work out well.
A Step-By-Step Guide to Getting Rid Of the Resin on Hands with Liquid Soap and Water
Accidentally getting resin onto hands is not a pleasant experience. Fortunately, there are several ways to remove resin from hands. For instance, here is a simple guide one can follow to remove it with the help of liquid soap and water.
- Step 1: Put a generous amount of liquid soap on one’s hands.
- Step 2: Do not add water. Now, rub the hands together.
- Step 3: Next, rinse the hands with water to remove the resin.
- Step 4: Afterward, use a clean towel and dampen it with soap and water.
- Step 5: Finally, use the soapy towel to remove the resin on the skin.
Steps on Removing Resin from Hands with Vinegar
Removing resin off your hands with soap and water is one of the simplest solutions to follow. Unfortunately, it may not be effective for others. Luckily, there are other methods for removing resin off hands, including using a vinegar solution. In addition, one can use any type of vinegar that is available for them to use at home. Here is how it is done below.
- Step 1: Get yourself a paper towel or a regular towel.
- Step 2: Next, drench the paper towel or regular towel in vinegar.
- Step 3: Now, wrap the hands with the towel and leave it on for a while. Doing this will ensure that the resin softens for easy removal. More vinegar can be added to the towel when it dries up.
- Step 4: Rub the hands in circles with the vinegar-soaked towel to soften the hardened resin.
- Step 5: Repeat steps three and four until almost the resin is removed.
- Step 6: Once all the bits of resin are removed from the hands, wash the hands with any soap and water to remove the vinegar and any remaining residual resin left.
How to Remove Resin Off Hands with a Citrus-Based Product
Another well-known method on how to get resin off hands is to use a citrus-based product. Besides, citrus-based products will surely do a better job in removing resin due to their abrasiveness and acidic properties. Therefore, will surely do an excellent job when it comes to softening dried resin on one’s hands.
Additionally, those with sensitive skin can add a small amount of water to dilute the product. For this method, one can use any industrial citrus-based product. Here are the steps one can follow below for this guide.
- Step 1: Grab the citrus-based product and any clean towel. Put the product onto the towel, making sure to remove excess product by squeezing the towel lightly.
- Step 2: Wrap the soaked towel on the hands and carefully rub it thoroughly onto the hands. Rub the towel in circles to eliminate the resin.
- Step 3: Repeat the process above until the resin is completely removed. Finally, wash the hands with soap and water to remove the cleaner and remaining resin.
- Step 4: Finally, dry the hands and use any lotion or cream available for use. It is recommended to use lotion or cream after using abrasive products to bring back moisture to one’s skin.
Using Baking Soda to Get Resin Off Hands
Another way to get rid of resin off hands is by using baking soda. After all, mixing baking soda with any dishwashing liquid product will do wonders on hands with hardened resin. Here are the following steps for this method below.
- Step 1: First, ensure that the hands are dry before putting some baking soda onto them. Using one tablespoon of baking soda is enough.
- Step 2: The next step is to incorporate the dishwashing liquid onto the hands. Add about one tablespoon of dish soap. Now, using the hands, combine the products by scrubbing them together.
- Step 3: Keep scrubbing until the resin breaks down. Finally, rinse them with soap and water. Keep doing the steps above as needed.
How to Remove Resin from Your Hands Using a Natural Sugar Scrub
In addition to the standard methods of removing resin on hands listed above, one can also remove resin using a DIY natural scrub. To make this sugar scrub, one would need the following items:
- Two cups of sugar (can be white or brown)
- One-half cup of oil
- Around fifteen to twenty drops of any essential oil according to preference (for fragrance)
- Any container for storage
Here is a detailed guide one can follow to make this natural sugar scrub through this link.
After following the steps in the link to produce the natural scrub, one can now follow the steps below to use the sugar scrub in removing resin from one’s hands.
- Step 1: Make the sugar scrub as indicated in the link above.
- Step 2: After making the sugar scrub, scoop a generous amount onto the hands and start scrubbing it onto the hands.
- Step 3: Keep scrubbing the product onto the hands to remove the resin. Again, repeat the process as needed until the resin is fully removed from the hands.
- Step 4: Finally, wash off the hands with soap and water to remove the sugar scrub.
Effects of Resin on Your Skin
If one is not careful enough when using resin, they may experience several symptoms upon prolonged contact with resin. With that in consideration, it is best to get resin off of one’s hands as soon as possible upon contact.
The severity of the symptoms may vary. For instance, one may end up with irritated skin or an allergic reaction. In worst-case scenarios, one might even experience moderate burns on their skin. In addition, inhaling epoxy resin vapors is harmful to one’s respiratory health and can lead to respiratory problems and sensitization.
Still, there are several ways one can do to prevent all of these from happening. Here is how one can protect themselves from the harmful effects of resin in the next part of this article.
How to Use Resin Safely
Some resin may be natural and safe for use, while others are not. Of course, there are ways on how one can safely use resin when creating resin crafts and other projects. Here are some tips one can follow to ensure that one’s experience in using resin is pleasant and does not pose any harm to anyone.
- Use proper protective gear, such as masks, gloves, an apron, long-sleeved clothing, and the like to protect oneself from getting into contact with resin and inhaling its fumes and particles.
- Make sure to do resin work in an area with plenty of ventilation.
- Research and purchase resins that are much safer for use.
Lastly, users must also not just protect themselves. In addition, they must also ensure that their belongings are not prone to get stained with resin. While removing resin may be much easier to do on particular surfaces, it is still better to prevent staining your items with it in the first place.
Therefore, it is highly recommended to cover your workspace with newspapers or other similar materials. Doing so will protect your items from getting stained with resin.
This ends the washing guide on how to get resin off hands. One does not need to worry when accidentally getting resin on their hands. Besides, there are various methods on how to remove resin on hands. However, it is much better to follow precautionary measures to ensure such a hassling experience does not ever occur again.