Cleaning a five gallon water jug can seem like an intimidating task due to its large size. However, it is imperative to note that regular cleaning of this jug is very important to prevent bacteria from growing inside. You can either use a natural solution or a chemical disinfectant in the cleaning process.
Whether the jug is made of plastic or glass, the following cleaning procedures will help to prevent your water from becoming infected with bacteria and produce other weird smells. The article is a helpful guide on how to clean 5 gallon water jug.
How to Clean 5 Gallon Water Jug?
When cleaning a plastic gallon water jug, it is paramount to avoid using hot water. Hot water can cause plastic to produce some carcinogens into the water. Hot water can also disfigure the appearance of your gallon water jug. It is also important to store your jug away from direct sunlight to prevent mold and bacteria growth.
Some of the important steps you should follow when cleaning the water bottles and also extending their lifespan include:
- Fill the water bottle to a quarter full with water. You can then add one teaspoon of liquid dish soap, white vinegar, or bleach. Vinegar and bleach are potent disinfectants that help to clean the bottle well.
- Slowly fasten the lid of the bottle and shake the mixture well. You can then place your hand over the lid of the bottle and shake the jug for an average of 10 seconds.
- Remove the lid; using a washing brush, scrub the inside of your bottle. You can purchase the brushes from home supply stores, and they are quite efficient in cleaning plastic and glass bottles.
- Pour the soapy solution down the drain and rinse your bottle using warm water. Ensure that you repeat the rinsing process until the water you are using is clear.
- Fill the bottle with half full of clean water and then pour in household bleach. Fasten the lid on the bottle and slowly shake the mixture while ensuring that the bleach and water solution contact the bottle.
- Ensure the water sits for a minimum of 30 seconds, and then ensure that you pour out the solution and rinse the bottle using clean water.
- Allow the bottle to air dry
Why is White Vinegar a Potent Cleaning Detergent?
White vinegar is an eco-friendly cleaning solution that you should consider using. It helps to remove stubborn dirt and stains and eliminate an odor on your bottle. The white vinegar contains acetic acid, which helps to kill odors in your bottle. This detergent’s acidic nature helps dissolve any mineral deposits, grease, grime, or dirt. Ideally, the solution is enough to kill any harmful bacteria.
Why Use Bleach when Cleaning your Water Bottle?
If you are worried about germs in your gallon water bottle, a weak bleach is the best to give effective results. It is safe to wash your bottle using weak bleach. The detergent helps eliminate any bacteria that has the potential of causing any health problems in your body.
Why Wash Using Liquid Dish Soap?
The liquid dish soap is also an effective solution to wash your gallon water bottle. What makes the solution quite recommendable is that it ensure that your bottle is sparkling clean. It is also effective in removing any dirt and build-up of bacteria. The liquid dish soap has a pleasant and fresh scent and will leave your bottle smelling fresh.
The solution is also a mild option making it a better choice compared to other harsh chemicals such as bleach that may harm your hands. When using other harsh chemicals, ensure that you are cautious and avoid contact with your eyes. Ensure that you rinse your eyes using clean water in case of any contact.
Other Tips to Clean and Sanitize the Water Bottle
If your gallon bottle has a screw top bottle, ensure that you separate the top from the rest bottle. Ensure that you run both the lid and bottle in the dishwasher daily. Ensuring that the drying cycle is adequate is important because your bottle requires proper drying. If you don’t completely dry your bottle, it will become a breeding ground for various germs and support bacteria growth.
Also, you can ensure that you wash your bottle in warm water and a powerful detergent daily. You can use a brush or cloth to remove any slimy build-up of germs on your bottle. Ideally, you should pour any remaining water on your bottle and add fresh water daily.
Why Should You Wash Gallon Water Bottle Regularly?
Ensure the Water you are Drinking is Clean and Healthy
Washing your water bottle ensures that the water you are drinking is healthy and safe. It is imperative to note that your water bottle can accumulate dirt after a prolonged period of use.
Retain the Original Appearance of your Bottle
Another primary reason you should consider washing your bottle is to retain its original beauty. Clearing off the dirt and debris will leave your bottle clean and beautiful.
Eliminate Harmful Bacteria and Toxics
It is also imperative to ensure that you clean your water bottle to eliminate all toxins and bacteria. Drinking contaminated water can expose you to various diseases. If you note that your water has a weird smell or taste, it is paramount to wash it regularly to prevent such problems.
The above article is a comprehensive guide on How to Clean 5 Gallon Water Jug. Ideally, it is important to use potent detergents such as baking soda, liquid dish soap, or white vinegar. When washing the plastic water bottle, avoid using hot water but rather use warm water in the cleaning process.